Thursday, April 2, 2015

Week 1: Two Cultures

Both articles represent similar views on a well known dichotomy in our lives: the polarization of art and science. Snow's piece takes the perspective of a man that criticizes both sides for being shortsighted. Vesna instead takes a more academic and descriptive approach. She seems to be more focused on dissecting other's arguments, but does still offer her own opinion. They both echo the sentiment of compromise; that both sides must respect the other in order for bridges to be made.
Both sides must work together to move forward

The concept of two cultures is present at UCLA in many ways. We have the obvious intellectual distinction between South and North campus, respectively representing science and humanities. We have the separation between the dorms and campus itself, representing a chasm between social life and academics. We even have the division between fraternities and sororities, with each existing on opposite sides of the campus.
A typical North campus library
A typical South campus laboratory
This perspective, understanding that definite dichotomies exist, does affect my thinking in that I really question why the separation exists. I, like many students, decided long ago that I wanted to go into science. I really enjoyed the subjects in school and found that the field required creativity from me. More than anything, I loved the idea of learning throughout my life. Science, almost by definition, is always changing. At least, our perception of science is always changing.
Without thinking much, I am quick to say that art does not demand the same things of me. But when I really think about things, it becomes obvious that art and the humanities require their participants to be excellent learners and infinitely creative.
It is possible that I leaned toward science because I felt that it was more beneficial to the world, but even that seems largely untrue. Medicine may save people's lives, but art makes those lives worth living. Thus, I think the existence and, more importantly, my recognition of two cultures is actually beneficial. Because I know that the schism is present, I can do what I can to exist between both poles. I am already an avid reader and enjoy writing, but many times my academic pursuits prevent me from partaking in literary pleasures. As such, I feel that consciously understanding how my actions affect the polarization of art and science will guide me toward a better understanding and appreciation of both worlds.
It is more accurate to say that there is a gradient between art and science. We even refer to many scientific procedures, such as delicate surgeries or complicated molecular crystallizations, as art in their own right. I want to exist firmly in the grey area of this gradient.
If art exists at 0 and science at 10, I want to be as close to 5 as possible


Sources:

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.

Images:
Unknown. Image. <https://www.fcasv.org/sites/default/files/bridge.jpg>

UCLA Laboratory. Photograph. <http://www.syska.com/cms/photos/projects/UCLA_Lab.jpg>
Powell Library. Photograph. <http://www.library.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/styles/widescreen_large/public/powell%205.jpg?itok=B_g5J13g>

Value Scale. Image. <http://i.imgur.com/JV8s8.jpg>

No comments:

Post a Comment